L8 Risk Assessments
ACOP L8 Compliance
All premises must have a current legionella Risk Assessment and this should technically be undertaken before the maintenance regime is put in place. Often this is not the case, but a Risk Assessment must still be undertaken so that the maintenance regime is inspected and reviewed.
For employers / properties with less than five employees there is no statutory duty to write anything down, but it is seen as useful to keep a written record of what has been done.
HSG 274 Part 2 states:
“Carrying out a legionella risk assessment and ensuring it remains up to date is required under health and safety law and is a key duty when managing the risk of exposure to legionella bacteria.”
The purpose of the Risk Assessment is:
- To decide if there are any risks to health. In other words is the potential for harm to health from exposure reasonably foreseeable unless you undertake adequate precautionary measures.
- To advise on the necessary precautionary measures that need to be taken to prevent, or adequately control, the risk from exposure to legionella bacteria.
The risk assessment also enables the person on whom the statutory duty falls to show that all the pertinent factors, and the steps needed to prevent or control the risk, have been considered.
Accreditations and affiliations
Legionella Control Association
Phase is a member of the LCA. The LCA was established to ensure users receive a high level of audiatable services that are in full compliance with the guidance set out in L8
Phase Technology is accredited by SafeContractor providing our clients peace of mind that the work is undertaken competently and safely
Phase Technology holds ISO 14001:2015
Phase Technology has been ISO accredited since 1996 and currently holds ISO 9001:20015
Phase Technology is accredited at Organisation Level by Human Focus for General Health & Safety Arrangements. This certification scheme has been independently accredited by RoSPA
How we can help
Phase Technology has been undertaking Legionella Risk Assessments since L8 was first published at a very wide range of sites including:
- Commercial, Industrial and Residential Properties
- Centres of Education and Care Homes
- Shopping Centres, Hotels and Leisure Facilities
- Dental Clinics and Healthcare Centres
- Local Authority and Government Portfolios of Sites
Our team of highly trained and competent risk assessors are able to provide you and the site premises all the information and guidance you require to understand your responsibilities, manage the risks and comply with current legislation. A review period will be established for the site / document based on the assessment scoring system, occupants of the property and types of systems found.
Please contact us for more information.
Risk Assessments Reviews
Risk Assessment should be reviewed regularly inline with the assessment interval and in any case, where there is reason to believe that the original assessment may no longer be valid.
Below are examples of when a risk assessment may become invalid:
- If a system is involved or suspected of being involved in a Legionnaires Disease Outbreak
- It is not reviewed regularly
- Changes are made to plant or water systems or its use
- Changes are made to key personnel managing, maintaining or monitoring the water systems
- Changes are made to building use in which the water system is installed
- New Information about risks or control measures becomes available
- Results of checks indicating that control measures are no longer effective.
Phase Technology can undertake reviews of its own risk assessments or those undertaken by other providers.
Overview Assessment of Water Systems
Suggested Review Date
Water Systems deemed high risk as per ACoP, L8 and HSG 274 (e.g. Cooling towers present)
No System of Control present or required monitoring insufficient, as pre ACoP, L8 and HSG 274. Once a system of Control has been implemented and deemed effective this interval will be reviewed.
Water Systems deemed medium risk as per ACoP, L8 and HSG 274
System deemed low risk as per ACoP, L8 and HSG 274
It is a requirement of the British Standard 8580 and ACOP L8 that that an up-to-date system schematic is provided as part of the risk assessment system description.
The system schematic displays the system layout with the important items of plant, valves and pipework listed. Phase Technology is able to provide system schematics and can supply them in a number of formats PDF or AutoCAD format.